Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Abbey Road: The Beatles' Greatest Album

Some people like The Beatles' earlier stuff, and some like their later stuff. When I was young, my dad always had Beatles songs playing, mainly from their earlier years. In fact, I have heard those songs so much over the years that I know pretty much every lyric to every song. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I started listening to the Beatles' song from their later years. By this I mean the songs from the album Revolver until Let It Be. I liked these songs better than the ones from their earlier albums. I'm not saying that their earlier songs were bad or anything, it's just I have more of an inclination toward their later stuff now. Their later songs are much more diverse. They definitely improved from their earlier days. Eastern Indian philosophy influenced George Harrison's songwriting a lot. He uses the sitar on a few songs. Some of  their music on the album Let It Be was sort of in the folk genre, but with a rock twist. By far, I think their greatest album is Abbey Road. Aside from the famous album cover (as shown above), they accomplished some of their best work in that album. George Harrison wrote the songs Something and Here Comes the Sun. Ringo Starr contributed Octopus's Garden. Some of the songs on that album are a bit weird, like Sun King and Polythene Pam, but overall, this album was composed of very good songs.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that i think the beatles earlier stuff was pretty good, but i do think that there later stuff is much more diverse and down to earth. The beatles to me are so down to earth and i loved that.Knuckles i think this is a great post.

    ReplyDelete